This post was last updated on February 17th, 2015 at 01:24 am
Elk hair caddis fly
Tying the Elk Hair Caddis
You will only need a few materials to tie this versatile trout fly pattern
- Elk Hair
- Some sort of dry fly dubbing
- Various colored hackle to palmer the body with
The elk hair caddis is a very easy fly to tie.
- Attach the hackle first to the rear of the hook
- Apply your dubbing color of choice
- Palmer your hackle from the rear of the fly towards the front and tie it off
- The final step of the elk hair caddis is to put on the elk hair, this can be easily achieved with a few wraps of thread around the head of the fly.
- Finally trim the elk hair with a little extra hanging over the head.
If you were wondering how this trout fly came to be, you can read the history of the elk hair caddis fly here.